OSTEOPATH PATIENT INFORMATION
Qualified & Registered ProfessionalOpen or Close
Your First AppointmentOpen or Close
• Your first session will last for about 50–60 minutes.
• David needs to know about your health, past & present. You will be asked detailed questions about your complaint, medical history, general health & any medication you may be taking. Please see visit information.
• As an osteopath he will carry out a careful physical examination sometimes incorporating medical equipment to help with the diagnosis.
• Please click for page on Osteopathic Care.
Accompanied / ChildrenOpen or Close
• If you choose, you may have a friend or relative present, during your appointment.
• Children under the age of 16, will require an adult to chaperone.
TreatmentOpen or Close
• Osteopaths usually start any treatment by releasing & relaxing muscles, stretching stiff joints, using gentle massage techniques, rhythmic joint movements & muscle release techniques.
• They may also carry out spinal manipulations. These are short, quick movements to joints in order to help restore normal joint function and mobility.
• David will use touch to identify points of weakness or excessive strain in your body. You will usually be treated lying on a treatment couch.
Exercise & Postural AdviceOpen or Close
Number of TreatmentsOpen or Close
Post TreatmentOpen or Close
• After an osteopathic treatment, you may feel stiff or sore for a few hours,up to 48 hours.
• This can feel similar to post-exercise soreness. Osteopathic care information.
• Feel free to ring & talk with David, if you have any concerns.
Appointment CancellationOpen or Close
• Please note appointments cancelled with less than 24 hours notice, normally require patients to meet the full fee.
Cancellation and failure-to-attend fees
We require at least 24 hours notice for an appointment to be changed or cancelled.
We often have patients waiting for an immediate appointment; failure to notify us in good time means other patients miss available appointments.
Cancellations also have cost implications for the practice.
Although discretion will be used, the full charge will be made if you fail to give adequate notice of your cancellation.
Failure to attend an appointment OR cancellation of an appointment with less than 24 hours notice: the full fee will be charged.
Prior cancellations at short notice:
Pre-payment will be required at the time of booking
RESPECTING YOU - MODESTY MATTERSOpen or Close
It is important that you feel comfortable during your osteopathic treatment, particularly around matters of modesty and privacy.At the start of your first session we will ask questions about your medical history and lifestyle as well as your symptoms. This is very important as it will help us to make an accurate diagnosis and suggest appropriate treatment. This information is kept confidential in conjunction with the Data Protection Act 1998. We will need to examine the area(s) of your body causing discomfort. Sometimes the cause of the problem may be in a different area to the pain, (for example, a difference in leg length may result in compensations in the upper back which might result in neck pain) so we may need to examine your whole body. We will need to feel for tightness in the muscles and stiffness in the joints and may need to touch these areas to identify problems. We will explain this as we go along, but if you are uncomfortable with any part of this then let us know, we can discuss this with you or stop if you prefer. As with a visit to a GP or other medical professional, for us to examine you effectively it may be necessary for them to ask you to remove some clothing as appropriate for the condition. This may mean undressing down to your underwear. If this is a problem for you then let us know and we will try to make arrangements that make you more comfortable.You are also welcome to bring someone with you for all or part of your consultation, and children should always be accompanied by a parent or guardian.Remember, if you have any questions we will be happy to discuss this with you.
'he is committed to his patients and his goal is to address issues as quickly as possible'
David will explain to you what treatment you'll need, how to speed up your recovery & when you can return to your regular activities & sports.
He may prescribe special exercises together with treatment to increase your joint mobility & performance.
Together with stretching your muscle groups accordingly, strengthening weak muscles, to restore muscle balance.
‘I am now walking and living pain free for the first time in 3 years’
In regard to pain, David takes a thorough history with consultation, guiding his examination. This determines for any individual the quality, duration & origin of this condition, how it uniquely affects you & how best to provide treatment.